Sunday, May 29, 2011

Pillars

This is a poem about Sophie and Jonathan, David and Diana, and Peter, dearly loved friends that I may not see again in this lifetime.

I'm longing for the Kingdom coming for all to ones to whom I've had to say good-bye
my heart aches daily for them
I try to shake some sense into this love
this bond of love lasting beyond the grave
still it lingers
so I remind myself that these eternal beings
will again receive me with joy
when we walk into eternity

And someone told me that I could replace them with new friends.
Not so, not so--
It's just that each is so different!
It's like donning a horse-hair toupée
just doesn't fit
all their likenessnesses
all their differences
are so distinct
and wonderfully suited for the times we meet

Am I wrong for wanting to keep, their God-likeness near?
I feel as if I am a brick in His house
and they are the pillars
with the semblance of amber or fine brass
that He gives to uphold many
and because they are strength to many
I cannot hold onto them selfishly
their beauty is in their position and intention
to stand beside and underneath



Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, [which is] new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from my God: and [I will write upon him] my new name. (Revelation 3:12)

No comments:

Post a Comment